10 Christmas hazards for Pets

By: greatvet_admin

In: Christmas and pets

Tuesday, 12/22/2020

Festive Season brings joy and cheers to us and Christmas with family and friends is something we all look forward to. Santa’s gifts are particularly awaited by the children. But as pet parents, we need to have some precautions during the festivities as there will be lights and decorations and plenty of food which are within reach of our furry friends. Our team has spoken to veterinarians and experts and come up with a few pointers on how to keep our pets safe during the festive season.

10 Christmas hazards for Pets - GreatVet [Infographic]

Here is the plain text of the infographic above for a few of our readers who have requested it:

As nine in 10 poisonings happen within the owner’s home, and a shocking 5.5 million dog owners unknowingly feed their pets these harmful foods at Christmas, Veterinarians now have put together a helpful list of hazards all owners got to remember, to assist you to avoid any animal-related accidents this festive season:

  • Mince Pies and Christmas Puddings: Raisins, grapes, sultanas, and currants are very much toxic to dogs; also the foods that contain them. Means no mince pies for your pets.
  • Chocolate: It contains a stimulant called theobromine, a little bit like caffeine. Along with being tasty, it is also severely poisonous to dogs and cats.
  • Tinsel: While tinsel looks like a playful thing, it can cause harmful blockages in your pet’s stomach.
  • Blue Cheese: As it is delicious to us, blue cheese contains roquefortine C from which dogs are hypersensitive.
  • Chives, Garlic, & Onion: It is found in various festival eatable items like stuffing, gravy, and sausages. From the beginning, always know that all allium species are poisonous to dogs.
  • Macadamia Nuts: Often eaten as a snack, these nuts cause severe illness to your pets and especially dogs.
  • Snow Globes: The imported versions of snow globes may contain antifreeze which as little as 1 tablespoon can be harmful to cats.
  • Fairy Lights: Cats are too curious and will try chewing anything, like fairy lights that can burn & electrocute them.
  • Candles: While creating a calm vibe, candle flames can burn paws and the noses of your pets.
  • Alcohol: It can cause harmful liver as well as brain damages in animals. Even a tablespoon can become a problem for your pets.

If your pet has eaten any items like above, contact your veterinarian ASAP as these things can potentially harm the furry friends and it is best not to lose your Christmas night with tragedies.